Contributed by Else Martin
The Schooner “William Martin”,
Built at Grasshopper Point on Bluff Creek, ca 1885
Typical for charcoal and turpentine products.
This schooner was typical of the schooners that traveled between New Orleans and Mobile hauling loads of charcoal, turpentine, oysters and various products to market – returning with products for resale in the various general merchandise stores. The “William Martin” was owned by Wm. Westfall, son-in-law of William Martin, a merchant in Vancleave on Bluff Creek. The above photo was given to us by Marine Researcher, Rusty Barnes, who found the photo in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, and the last home of the schooner. Here it is loaded with 400 barrels of rosin, ca. 1930 on Bogue Falaya.