Capt. DANIEL PICKETT — of Pascagoula
(Ancestor of the Pickett family)
1826–1827 He owned the SCHOONER MARIA.
MARIA was first documented on Bayou St. John in 1820’s and was listed as BUILT in 1821 at EAST PASCAGOULA.
Description: 30 66/95 tons, 49 feet x 14 feet 2 inches, 1 deck, 2 masts, square stern.
(1) Enrolled No. 76, August 11, 1821 with then owner listed as Evariste Blanc of Bayou St. John. Master, Francois Ferrand.
(2) Enrolled No. 15, Port of Madisonville, Feb. 7, 1822.
Owner David B. Morgan of St. Tammany Parish, La.
Master John Harman.
(3) Registered Port of Pearlington, Miss. March 2, 1826.
Owner and Master DANIEL PICKETT, Jackson Co., MIss.
(4) 1827 Merchant vessel, “Schooner MARIA of PASCAGOULA”, 31 tons, owner D. S. Pickett, docked on Lake Erie at Cleveland, Ohio.
(1) Ship Records & Enrollments of New Orleans, Louisiana, Vol. II, 1821–1830.
(2) Making of America, Univ. of Michigan Digital Collection, List of Merchant Vessels of Commerce on Upper Lakes.