Contributed by Else Martin
United States Coast Guard
Division 8, Offshore Patrol Force
PASCAGOULA PORT, 1927–1935
Pascagoula Selected As Port
For Six 100-Foot Cutters of Coast Guard
Flotilla Will Arrive From Atlantic Seaboard Latter Part of May. Chamber of Commerce Gives Effective Co-operation to Guard Officials.
Pascagoula Chronicle-Star, April 8, 1927
Selection of Pascagoula as the post at which six 100-foot type patrol boats of the United States Guard Service will be stationed was made Thursday night from Commander H. H. Wolf, commander of the Gulf Division of the Coast Guard stationed at Mobile.
Captain Wolf told Hermes F. Gautier, president of the Chamber of Commerce, that the flotilla will leave the Atlantic seaboard depot at Arundel Cove, Md., to proceed for Pascagoula on or about May 15.
The new boats will constitute Division 8 of the Offshore Patrol Force, and will be under command of Captain C. H. Hilton, who has been detached from the Destroyer Force for the purpose of assuming this command. The boats have a cruising radius of several thousand miles, and each is manned by about ten men.
Following arrival in the Gulf, Division 8 will be a part of the force assigned to the Gulf Division for assistance to shipping and law enforcement.
The flotilla was to be stationed at Mobile, as that port had been selected as headquarters for the Gulf of Mexico instead of Key West. An eleventh hour change, assigned the flotilla to Pascagoula.
The Chamber of Commerce of Pascagoula, noting the establishment of headquarters at Mobile and the intention to concentrate the large boats at that city, immediately got into action and brought to the attention of Coast Guard officers the advantages here for a base. The municipal dock and warehouse were placed at the disposal of the officers, and they were told of the Government Shipyard here, where prompt and efficient repairs could be made on craft at a very low cost. The splendid housing conditions in Pascagoula were another factor in interesting the Coast Guard officers.